Jason Hysert - Water Bailiff
What is your name?
What is your job title?
What secondary school did you attend?
Milnes High School
Briefly describe your business
Describe your career pathway after leaving school
Left school and became an electrical installation and appliance engineer. Went into the automotive industry as a storeman and then moved to fisheries.
What school subjects would be helpful to study to undertake your job?
- Maths - you will be doing lots of counting and calculations
- Technical Studies - you will need to build and mend things
What is your favourite thing about the work that you do?
Working outside in our beautiful countryside.
Why did you want to work in this industry?
I have always been a passionate angler.
What daily duties do you carry out as part of your job?
- Patrol riverbank for illegal poaching
- Hatchery duties including bloodstock capture
- Habitat surveys and maintenance
What skills are required to do this job?
- Must be physically fit
- Be flexible with working hours
- Good knowledge of salmon fishing
- Have good people skills
- Practical minded
- Willing to undergo various training courses
What is your advice to young people who are considering working in this sector?
It is a great job to get into if you like working outdoors and enjoy talking and communicating with people. You must be ok working outside in all weather conditions!
Where would you like to see yourself in 10 years' time in terms of your career?
I really enjoy where I am and what I am doing now and would like to be in the same position in 10 years if we can sustain the salmon population.