Managing the blends at Norvite
Who are you and what is your job role?
Hi! I'm Iona Gregor, Blends Production Manager at Norvite.
What does Norvite, the company you work at, do?
A leading supplier to the Scottish livestock industry, Norvite have built a solid reputation for the supply of quality products and service. The company is proud to hold a Royal Warrant from HM Queen Elizabeth II as manufacturers of specialist animal feeds and supplements. Norvite have three Norvite Farm & Country stores – one at their headquarters at Wardhouse, Insch, one at their blending plant site at South Blackbog, Oldmeldrum and the third at Deeside Activity Park. The stores cater for all animals, from livestock, poultry and horses to pets and wild birds and they pride themselves on stocking the largest selection of feeds and supplements in the North East of Scotland.
How long have you worked there, and what has your career path been to get here?
- Since July 2019
What skills do you need?
- Customer service
- Seasonal times in the farming calendar
- Attention to detail
- General Cattle and Sheep knowledge
- Competency on machinery – forklift, telehandler, tractor, mixer wagon and bruiser
What does your average day entail?
- Stock takes
- Production plans
- Loading customers
- Taking orders from customers
- Organising haulage for finished products leaving the site and raw materials coming in
- I am using Norite’s unique system for all aspect such as booking in loads, printing customer paperwork etc.
- Oversee the Cold Pressed Oil Seed Rape Plant
- Leasing with sales reps for orders
What are your current challenges?
- I am dealing with any raw materials that come in at low quality and having to create a feed which is good enough to enter a farm.
- Any form of breakdown and being able to get the site moving again as quickly as possible.
- We are keeping staff motivated during the busy and quiet times of the year.
Are there opportunities for training and personal development?
- Yes and no there are management training courses available, but I have never been on any yet.
Are there travel opportunities?
- Not in my part of the company as I am in charge of one site and have to be based here at all times.
What advice would you give to anyone looking for a career at Norvite?
- Pick an area of the business you are interested in working.
- A lot of the jobs in the company can be physical, so be prepared if you want to go into that area.
- Always be ready to move with the times and future as things can change very quickly.
- Working at home on the family farm and working with my other half on his farm.
- I also play pipes in a pipe band, so this also takes up a lot of my time outside of work.