Aims & Objectives - General Scope of Post
Whilst observing the Health & Social Care Standards, to attend to the physical, emotional, and social needs of residents under direction of the Team Leader, working on a rota basis as laid down by the Registered Manager.
To promote the philosophy of privacy, dignity, independence, choice, rights, and fulfilment for the resident, within a policy of managed risk taking.
- All aspects of physical care, working as part of a team but capable of working unsupervised.
- Act as key carer to residents, ensuring their needs are met.
- To contribute to a separate file record for each resident and to participate in the formulation and implementation of individual care plans.
- The Carer is accountable to the Team Leader.
- Observe residents wishes regarding pattern of daily living.
- Organise and participate in activities and outings involving residents in planning where possible.
- Act as escort where necessary.
- Foster good community relations.
- Understand responsibilities in relation to health & safety, food hygiene, fire precautions and emergency procedures, infection control and emergency first aid.
- To undertake training as provided
- Keep your registration and Continuous Professional Development file up to date
- Attend staff meetings, support colleagues, work as part of a team for the benefit and well-being of the home and residents.
- Other tasks within the scope of the post as requested by the Registered Manager.
- To assist/encourage residents who need help with dressing, undressing, bathing and the toilet, cleaning bath when finished
- To assist/encourage residents with mobility problems and other physical disabilities including continence, and to help/encourage in the use of and care aids and personal equipment.
- To help care for residents who are palliative care
- To make beds, tidy rooms and to do light cleaning, empty and clean commodes after use.
- To attend to personal laundry with button replacing and minor repairs
- To set up tables and trays, serve meals, assist in the feeding of residents, preparation of light snacks. Wash up and leave the dining areas clean and tidy.
- Ensure that residents have ample food and fluid intake recording if necessary, as per care plan.
- To answer promptly call bells and welcome visitors
In addition to the above, there are some general requirements that apply to all jobs in the Home.
- Take responsibility for the safeguarding of adults, and to follow the Company’s Whistle Blowing policy as required.
- Participation in staff meetings.
- Participation in training activities.
- Participation in staff supervision and personal development plans.
- Take responsibility for personal development by keeping abreast of developments in the field of caring for older adults.
- All duties must be carried out to comply with company policies and procedures.
- Notification of accidents and other health and safety requirements.
- Statutory legislation in particular the health and hygiene regulations.
- Nationally and locally agreed codes of good practice.
- Fire precautions.
- Equal opportunity and the Company’s anti-discriminatory policy.
- Qualifications SVQ2 in Health & Social Care or equivalent (or willingness to work towards) Must be prepared to register with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC)
- Must be prepared to register with The Protection of Vulnerable Groups for Adults (PVG)
- Willingness to undertake relevant training
- Able to demonstrate literacy and numeracy skills
- Ability to maintain documentation & records with legible handwriting
- I.T. Awareness & Access
- A compassionate and empathetic approach to older people
- Able to work a flexible rota which will include weekend working
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work hard as a team and to promote harmonious working relationships by recognising that everyone has a contribution to make.
- Maths & English at Grade C GCSE or equivalent
- Clean Driving Licence
- Infection Control Certificate
- Essentials of Food Hygiene
- Understanding of Health & Safety Issues in a Care Setting
- Risk Assessment, Care Planning & Key Caring
- Previously worked with older adults in a Care Setting or Family setting
- Knowledge of Health & Social Care Standards
To Apply - please email your C.V. to Dorothy Marshall, Personnel Manager at email@example.com